Sunday 4 September 2016

Merging Visuals and Words aka Gerry Loves an Infographic



If this blog were a TV show this week’s offering would probably be known as a ‘filler’ episode. Doesn’t mean that you can’t achieve a deep level of fulfilment but this is probably more Burger King then Gourmet Burger. I mean I am entertaining myself that any week is considered Gourmet Burger…..

This week has bought with it the arrival of autumn. I am going to go ahead and express the unpopular opinion but I am very excited about this. I am one of the very few people that I know who look forward to the end of summer and the beginning of the autumn/winter period. If I were to wax poetic I would say it suits my soul. But I’m not going to wax poetic and instead say that it suits my clothing selection of choice. Bring on those chunky jumpers, big cardigans and boots!

I am reading a book at the moment which I will hopefully be reviewing next week for those of you interested in that sort of thing and I am still doing my NaNoWriMo prep for those of you who are interested in that. As I’m still working on character prep which I bored you with last week I won’t revisit that for this week.

In case I ran out of things to blog about I found myself on Pinterest saving a pin entitled ‘September Blogging Prompts.’ Unfortunately the blogging prompts are very American and not very good. The first 4 are:-

1.       Share your favourite coffee drink recipe – erm, I don’t drink coffee so no can do on this one

2.       What fall (autumn to you and me Brits) clothing items are you dying to wear – erm, tights? I am looking forward to my legs looking significantly less pale next to others

3.       Make a fall essentials shopping list – well I don’t have one of these but I am pretty glad I can stop spending so much money on sun cream

4.       Show us how you decorate for fall – what the??? Who the hell specifically decorates their house for autumn?? Christmas I understand and Halloween I totally get but autumn?? It’s not like I’m suddenly going to create an indoor carpet of fallen leaves to match the outside world.

Well as that wasn’t wonderfully successfully and I only managed to provide you with 128 words of extremely dubious content I feel like I need to give a little bit of something else. This weekend I have been busy doing social things and working on some writing tasks and so this is going to be a relatively short blog.

It goes without saying that I love books and reading and all that comes with it so when I discover any articles or items of interest I also like to have a little read and save them. Now I am going to have a little read, save and share them!

This week I am linking you to an article called ’15 Insanely Useful Diagrams for Book Lovers.’ Thank you Buzzfeed for your highly intellectual offerings. I am no snob though and I love a book related infographic wherever I may find it. Article can be found here.

Out of the 15, my top 3 favourites have to be the ones I've included below (some of the pictures have come out teeny tiny so I recommend going to the above link for more detail).
 
1. A handy guide to which wine to select while reading. Personally I love this idea and if I knew anything about wine I would start throwing out some suggestions of my own. Except my suggestions would probably be 'here - read Trainspotting and drink a pint of vodka.'

 
2. A travel guide based around locations of children's books. If you have children and are wanting to fully immerse yourself (and them) in the literary experience of the books they are reading or if, like me, you are a big kid and want to recreate your childhood then this infographic has some wonderful suggestions.
The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe suggestion is a bit of a stretch but I can personally validate the Lake District as being a wonderful way to surround yourself in all things Peter Rabbit (I preferred Mrs Tiggy-Winkle).
3. My final selection is '15 books with more characters than you can keep track of.' These consist of some glorious classics like Bleak House by Charles Dickens and War and Peace (obviously) but also some modern favourites such as Harry Potter and A Song of Ice and Fire (aka Game of Thrones). Apparently the first book 'A Game of Thrones' contains 218 named characters while the entire series itself consists of 2067.

Considering the time it is taking for George R.R. Martin to write the next book I'm probably not going to be able to remember all the characters by the time it comes out. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up constructing something out of a crime thriller with pictures and descriptions across a giant whiteboard with different coloured string connecting everyone.

Though I do quite like a lot of the minor characters (well the ones I can remember) there are plenty more I do not give a s*** about. Sorry, George. But I'd be happy if you stopped writing nonsense about the damn Martell family and concentrate on getting the band back together. And by band I mean the remaining Starks. And by together I mean happily alive. That's all I wish for.

 
Well hopefully you have enjoyed this trip down 'Gerry is being lazy lane.'

I will catch you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment